Ok, so this is a little off topic, but if you can bear with me, it might be an interesting project. I've been reading a lot about '30 before thirty' lists, and the idea is growing on me. The idea is that there are certain things we all wish we could do - life goals, small things, activities, etc. - but we never do them because life gets in the way. The idea with a list like this, and putting it out online, is that there is more pressure (and a deadline) to do these things.
Now, I'm not that old, only 25, but I have just gotten married, and I can see the way things may go, if I let life get ahead of me. There are things I want to do with my life, and things that I already wish I had done when I was younger, and I don't want to reach my old age and realise that I never had time to do most of the things I had wanted to do when I was young enough to do them.
So I'm making a list, a list to top all lists, and although I have 5 years (no, wait 4 years, it's my birthday just around the corner) until I'm 30, I think that sounds like a good enough time to get things done, wouldn't you say?
And I'm going to post it on this here blog to share with all of you, because I don't have the gumption to start and maintain another blog, and because I hope that you all (whatever your ages) will get involved and start life lists of your own, and tick them off with me.
I hope you enjoy taking this journey with me - and I promise, a lot of my goals are foodie-related, so hopefully you won't be bored!
- Invest in property
- Buy a car that I like
- Get a job that challenges me, that I like, that I wake up happy to go to OR freelance
Grow vegetables(done! I grew tomatoes this summer, 2010-2011) Make risotto(done!) Successfully bake a cake(done!) and frost it(red velvets, no less!)
- Go on a foodie holiday - a holiday where the whole thing is planned around food (markets, restaurants, food blogger friends, whatever)
- Learn to dance with my boy
- Start and stick to a retirement plan
- Learn a new skill that will help with my career
- Make macarons successfully
- Wash my own car (don't laugh, I've never done it!)
- Make money from blogging
- Build a blanket fort in my living room and camp out overnight, eating dinner and breakfast there
- Buy good quality, long lasting makeup, no matter what the cost
- Get the brown leather handbag I've wanted for years, no matter how much it costs (leather lasts, right?)
- Get involved with a charity that makes sense to me
- Volunteer at an animal shelter
- Take a really amazing holiday at least once a year - adventure while you're still young!
- Donate blood
- Get published (somewhere other than my blog ;) )
- Read "War and Peace" by Tolstoy
- Take a roadtrip without planning anything - just drive, and stop wherever the road takes us
- Learn to take good photographs to help remember my life
- Pull a sickie with my boy and spend the whole day in bed, forgetting the guilt over what we SHOULD be doing
- Learn another language fluently
- Get into shape, and flatten my stomach
- Go away for a weekend with my girlfriends
- Learn to start a fire
- Re-upholster a piece of furniture
I'll update and cross them off as we go, alright?
Now, who's going to do this with me? If you're keen, comment or tweet me below, and I'll make a list of people who are going through this with me!