Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Sweet Sticky Chicken and Blue Cheese Sauce


Hi there!

{Image source: Oakmonster, flickr}
So I had EVERY intention of making my risotto last night for the twitter #RisottoOff, but then I got tired. And lazy. And I couldn't get visions of sticky chicken out of my head. And we had leftover potato bake to eat. So sue me, I didn't make what I'd planned. SUCH a rebel.

And while I was thinking about the sticky chicken, I remembered that last months Fresh Living Magazine insert (Fresh Ideas) there was a sticky chicken recipe. So as usual, I looked at the recipe looong and haaard, and then I did my own thing. It's a curse, I tell ya. Their version looked fantastic, and my version was pretty amazing too. The hubby and I were licking our fingers and making those mmmmmm sounds of delight, so I'm pretty sure you'll like this one. And the blue cheese sauce I made to go with it? Well, I'll add that in as a bonus, because the sticky chicken just wouldn't be the same without it!

This is more of a method than a recipe. I mostly tossed things together, and tasted it, and added other things. So go wild! You want some spice? Add a pinch of chilli flakes, cumin or cayenne pepper. Want it fruitier? Mix in some pineapple juice. This is a flexible dish, so be creative with what you want... And with that, I give you:

Sweet Sticky Chicken
Served 2, with leftovers

Ingredients:
Chicken pieces (I used 5 chicken drumsticks)
Barbeque sauce
Chutney
Juice of 1 orange
2 tsp brown sugar
1 heaped tsp finely minced garlic
Salt and fresh black pepper

Method:
  1. Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
  2. Cut 2 deep slashes into each piece of chicken, more if its a big piece, like a thigh or a breast. This helps the marinade/sauce mixture penetrate more deeply.
  3. Mix all the ingredients together in an oven proof dish, large enough to hold the chicken pieces.
  4. Put each piece of chicken into the dish with the mixture, rolling the pieces around in the mixture to ensure even coating.
  5. When all are in, pop the whole lot into the oven, but don't run away! You'll need to keep turning the chicken, to avoid it drying out in the oven. I turned my pieces every 10 minutes or so for about 30-40 minutes.
  6. Then turn the grill on, and grill for a few minutes, or until the chicken is sticky and slightly caramelised.
Blue Cheese Sauce
Ingredients:
130 ml sour cream
2/3 wedge of blue veined cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
A little milk to thin if necessary

Method:

  1. Put the blue cheese and sour cream into a dish. I have a smoothie cup thing that came with my stick blender that's quite good for this.
  2. Using the stick blender, whizz the two together until combined. This will both integrate the blue cheese into the sour cream, and thin the sour cream slightly.
  3. Dribble in a little milk if the mixture seems too thick, and add salt and pepper to taste. I only added some pepper, since my blue cheese was quite salty
Serve the chicken with a mixed salad and the blue cheese sauce for dipping. This is rich, yes, but delicious, and quite fast! While the chicken is cooking, you can make the blue cheese sauce and salad, and by the time all that has come together, you're good to go.

Enjoy!

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

  1. Not bad for a rebel hey, he-he!!! This looks so good, love blue cheese!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love sticky chicken - it's a great no fuss meal that always comes up a winner.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rebel without a cause! Count me in if it's sticky sweet chicken we're talking about. I usually make mine with chicken wings (more surface area = more sticky yumness), but I can see how drumsticks would appeal to my inner cavewoman. *gnaw gnaw gnaw*

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should also try some delicious dessert like baklava and for this you can visit baklava online shop where you'll get all amazing and yummy baklava just in a cheap price.

    ReplyDelete

The only thing I love more than cooking and eating, is hearing from you, my lovely readers! So feel free to comment away, just keep it tidy!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...